Friday, July 24, 2009

BITCH - GRENACH

Oh my! Excuse my language!

Vintage
: 2005
Price Range: $20
Producer: R Wines
Region & Country: Eastwood, Australia
Grape Variety: Grenache
Recommended By: Easter Gift from Erika Swain

*Nothing says "Happy Easter" than presenting someone with a bottle

Place & Date Purchased: The Swain's, Chicago, IL - 4/12/2009
Place & Date Tasted: Home - 7/24/2009

Appearance: Glossy, slightly translucent and yet cloudy; full-bodied
Nose: Strawberry jam and cherries; strong fruit scent
Taste: Sweet berry taste that has a juicy smoothness at first and then also has a spicy kick to it
Finish: Dry, lingers and slightly acidic
Overall Impression: When I was presented this wine, I seriously didn't know what to expect. After tasting it, I loved it. After discussing with Erika that I loved it, she was surprised. She said that when she had it, it tasted like "wine and cigarettes" to her. So, I'm wondering if the following is the reason:
A) Our taste buds are completely different
B) She was probably smoking cigarettes while drinking it
C) She had a bad bottle

It could be a number of things. Here's another thing I'm pondering. If it was so bad, why was she giving it to me? Erika, you got some 'splaining to do. But I thought that this was a fantastic Grenache! I loved the boldness and the finish. I loved how it smelled like jam, but it didn't taste like it. And for the price, you can't go wrong.

Overall Rating
: 96/100
Overall Value: ***** / 5 Stars

No comments: